|| What is FASTag | HOW DOES FASTag WORK | How to Recharge FASTag | How to get FASTag online | SBI FASTag | Features and benefits Of FASTag | Fees and Charges | IPMS full Form |
What is FASTag
At the macro level, FASTag is an electronic toll collection system that is being operated and managed by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) through its subsidiary Indian Highway Management Co. Ltd (IHMCL).
The system uses the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) – a technology that uses radio waves to passively identify a tagged object — for facilitating toll payments directly from a prepaid or savings account.
Vehicle owners get a FASTag card affixed to the windscreen of their vehicles and pay their toll taxes electronically by just driving through the toll plazas without making a stopover for transactions.
FASTags were first set up as a pilot project at the Golden Quadrilateral between Ahmedabad and Mumbai. By 2017, NHAI had launched a FASTag lane at all 370 toll plazas under its ambit. The same year, the government had made FASTag compulsory for all new vehicles sold in India. Later, NHAI made the usage of FASTags compulsory with effect from 15 February 2021.
The Government of India has made it mandatory for all citizens to use the FASTag facility. Let’s understand what benefits does it offer to you-
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
HOW DOES FASTag WORK
The FASTag system has two components – a card and a scanner. The FASTag card is usually pasted on the windscreen of a car and the scanner is placed at the toll plazas on highways.
The card on the car communicates with the scanner at the toll plaza using the RFID technology. As soon as the car crosses the toll plaza, the requisite toll amount is automatically deducted from a bank account or a prepaid wallet linked to the FASTag.
The owner of the FASTag then gets an SMS alert on the deduction of the amount. The alert is similar to that of money getting debited from an account or a wallet.
It is important to note here that if the FASTtag is linked to a prepaid account like a wallet or a debit/credit card, then owners need to recharge or top up the tag. However, if the tag is linked to a savings account, then the money gets deducted automatically after the balance goes below a pre-defined threshold.
The FASTag balance amount does not have any validity date. It can be used as long as the tag is not tampered with and is readable at the toll plazas.
FASTag works in a similar fashion to other radio frequency identification (RFID) technologies. There is a RFID enabled sticker that is fixed to a vehicle’s windshield, and a reader at the toll booth can scan this card and wirelessly and automatically processes the payment.
When you pass a FASTag-enabled toll plaza, you won’t have to stop your car to make a cash payment for the toll fee. Instead, you can just keep driving and the fee will be paid automatically.
Basically, the readers can to scan the FASTag card while it is in motion by emitting a signal to the FASTag card to request the toll fee payment, and the payment immediately gets deducted! But, it is essential that a FASTag card is linked with a digital wallet or savings account to ensure that toll fee payment goes through.
The tags were made mandatory in all new cars sold after December 1, 2017, (and for all vehicles from 2021) as a way to both encourage digital payments and free up congestion at toll booths.
According to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, over 34 lakh FASTags were issued in 2018, and more than 11.5 million FASTag cards were issued as of 31st December 2019.
How to get FASTag online
FASTag can be bought online through the following channels:
- E-commerce websites:Various e-commerce websites such as Amazon and Flipkart sell FASTags. Here, you will mostly get bank-neutral FASTags issued by IHMCL. These FASTags are not linked to any bank and the user is free to choose his mode of payment to be linked to the tag.
- Bank portals:FASTag can also be purchased from web portals of member banks. Some of the leading banks that sell FASTags include HDFC Bank, ICICI bank, Axis Bank, IDFC First Bank, Paytm Payments Bank (via Paytm App), Airtel Payments Bank (via Airtel App), etc. Notably, a FASTag taken from one bank cannot be used with the account of another bank. So, users prefer buying FASTag from the bank in which they have their bank accounts.
Irrespective of whether you have bought the FASTag online or offline, the maximum price of FASTag has been capped at Rs 100 inclusive of GST by the government. However, additionally, you would have to pay a security deposit of Rs 200 and first recharge amount of minimum Rs 200 depending on the vehicle class.
The standard documents required to be submitted by an individual for applying for a FASTag are as below:
- FASTag with minimum KYC details:For limited KYC FASTags, you need to submit copy of vehicle registration certificate (RC) for the applied vehicle, mobile number verified with a One Time Pin (OTP) and a self-declaration of name and unique identification number of any of the officially valid documents like passport, driving licence, voter ID card, PAN card, Aadhaar card, etc.
- FASTag with full KYC details:For full KYC FASTags, you need to submit copy of vehicle RC for the applied vehicle, mobile number verified with an OTP, copy of valid address proof (any of the officially valid documents mentioned above), copy of valid ID proof or PAN card and a passport size photo (coloured/black and white).
How to Recharge FASTag
In case you have linked your FASTag card with your savings account or current account, there is no need to recharge it. In that case, you only need to ensure that your linked bank account possesses sufficient balance to make toll fee payments.
If you have linked the card with any prepaid digital wallet, you need to recharge it when your balance exhausts. There are several methods through which you can recharge your digital wallet, which includes – UPI, debit card, credit card, NEFT, Net Banking, etc.
However, as per the regulations mentioned for FASTag, there is an upper ceiling amount up to which you are allowed to recharge your FASTag prepaid wallet. These are: FASTag recharge can be done both by paying cash or online. Let’s discuss in details the recharge procedure for different kinds of FASTags:
- Recharge of bank-issued FASTag (FASTag purchased from a bank):Any FASTag issued by bank can be recharged by visiting the respective bank web-portal. On submitting user credentials, a wallet associated with FASTag can be recharged via net banking, UPI and debit/credit card. FASTag issued by banks can also be recharged via UPI on My FASTag App (available on Android Play Store and iOS version). Customers may also call respective bank’s customer care number for assistance/information on FASTag recharge.
- Recharge of NHAI FASTag (bank-neutral FASTag):The NHAI FASTag which are linked to NHAI prepaid wallet can be recharged via UPI on My FASTag App through net banking, UPI and debit/credit card. Those NHAI FASTag which are linked to a bank account via My FASTag App are automatically topped up once the balance goes down below the minimum threshold amount. The amount of auto-top can be chosen by the customer by providing standing instruction while linking the tag with the bank account.
It is important to note that there is an upper ceiling amount up to which you are allowed to recharge your FASTag prepaid wallet depending on the extent of your KYC. Details are as under:
- Limited KYC accountholder:For limited KYC account holders, the amount loaded in FASTag wallet during any month shall not exceed Rs 10,000 and the total amount loaded during the financial year shall not exceed Rs 1 lakh.
- Full KYC accountholder:For full KYC account holders, the balance limit of wallet-linked vehicles shall be increased up to Rs 1 lakh at any point of time.
Limited KYC accountholder – The limit up to which such an account holder can possess in his/her FASTag prepaid wallet is Rs. 20,000 at one time. It is also the monthly recharge limit for such account holders.
But what is limited KYC?
Limited KYC is when you do not disclose your original Aadhaar number and instead register with a Virtual ID (VID).
Full KYC accountholder – Such account holders can have up to Rs. 1 lakh in their FASTag prepaid wallet at one time. However, unlike a limited KYC accountholder, there is no maximum ceiling for recharging.
Now that you know all about the FASTag card go forward and buy one before time runs out. Remember that beyond 15th January 2020, if you do not have a FASTag card affixed to your vehicle, you will need to pay double the toll fee through cash at FASTag-enabled toll plazas.
SBI FASTag is a rechargeable/reloadable tag that facilitates Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) across toll plazas on national highways in India. You no longer have to stop at a toll booth and pay the toll fee using cash.
How Does SBI FASTag Work?
FASTag is an electronic toll collection device attached to the windscreen of a vehicle to enable drivers to drive through toll plazas without having to stop. It is a 10x 5 cm, in the shape of a rectangle, multi-layered tag, made of good quality paper, containing chip and antenna within its layers. It uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to enable direct toll payments from a moving vehicle. The toll fare is directly deducted from the bank account linked to FASTag. It will not only encourage cashless payments at the toll plaza but also decongest national highways. SBI FASTag can be conveniently recharged online through credit card, debit card, net banking and IMPS.
Features and benefits of using SBI FASTag
- With SBI FASTag, you can save time and fuel that you might otherwise expend at the toll booth when relying on cash transaction to pay the toll fee.
- As FASTag is used for cashless transactions, you need not worry about carrying the exact change to pay the toll fee.
- To keep you updated of all transactions made using FASTag, you will be sent instant SMS alerts to your registered mobile number.
- SBI FASTag has unlimited validity until it depreciates due to wear and tear or is tampered with. You can get a replacement tag for an additional cost. The tag comes with a 3-year guarantee.
- Your FASTag account can be recharged easily through authorised SBI service providers or dedicated online portals using net banking, credit card debit card, e-wallets, etc.
- You can get cashback for all FASTag transactions at the toll plazas on national highways.
- FASTag users can log on to the customer portal to view transaction history, check account balance, etc.
- The minimum recharge amount for SBI FASTag is Rs.100.
- The maximum recharge amount for SBI FASTag is Rs.1 lakh for those who have submitted KYC details and Rs.20,000 for those who have not provided KYC details.
- FASTag can be used at more than 346 toll plazas across the national highways. In the future, more toll plazas will be added to the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program.
Fees and Charges levied on SBI FASTag users
- Fee for issuing tag – Rs.100
- Convenience fee – A small convenience fee will be charged for all transactions.
- Security deposit – The security deposit is levied as per the vehicle class. It will be refunded upon closure of the tag account.
|Vehicle Class||Deposit Amount|
|4 – Car / Jeep / Van/ Tata Ace and similar mini light commercial vehicle||Rs.200|
|5 – Light Commercial Vehicle||Rs.300|
|6 – 3 Axle Commercial Vehicles||Rs.400|
|7 – Bus / Truck||Rs.400|
|12 – 4 to 6 axle||Rs.400|
|15 – 7 or more axle||Rs.400|
|16 – Heavy Construction Machinery (HCM)/Earth Moving Equipment (EME)||Rs.400|
Every toll tax must be paid digitally via FASTags, according to the administration. The Ministry of Transportation has allowed 22 accredited banks to issue and administer RFID-enabled tags. ICICI Bank is one of the accredited institutions authorised to issue and handle FASTags. Read on to learn how to get an ICICI FASTag, how much it costs, and how to recharge it online.
Benefits of ICICI Bank FasTag Program
Apart from the convenience of executing your ICICI FASTag online, the bank offers a number of other advantages with the FASTag. The following are the specifics:
- Cash Back 5%
You can avail a CashBack of 5% on all National Toll payments using FASTag in FY 2018-19. For FY 2019-20 – 2.5%.
- Express Delivery
Get your FasTag at the instant delivery and Get FasTag all over India registered the vehicle.
- SMS and Email Alert of Transactions
Customer will receive SMS & Email alerts on his registered mobile.
- Saves Fuel and Time
Savings on fuel & reduction of emissions from idling & repeated stops at toll plazas.
- Web portal for customers
Customers can access their statements by logging on the FASTag customer portal
- Saves both time and moneyYou don’t have to stop at the toll booth to pay cash; instead, the toll booth’s tag reader will read your FASTag and charge the required fee, saving you time and fuel.
- Transactional SMS NotificationsFor all transactions on your ICICI FASTag, you will receive SMS notifications to your mobile number.
- Web Portal for CustomersBy connecting in with your username and password to the ICICI customer web portal, you can access your statements.
- There’s no need to pay in cashYou will no longer need to carry cash to pay tolls.
- Online rechargingYou can fund your ICICI FASTag account using a variety of methods.
Fee Charges of ICICI Bank FasTag
|Tag Joining Fee*||Rs. 99.12 (including GST)|
|TAG CLASS||DESCRIPTION||TAG COLOUR||TAG DEPOSIT||THRESHOLD AMOUNT|
|4||Car / Jeep / Van||Violet||200||200|
|4||TATA Ace and similar mini Light Commercial Vehicle||Violet||200||100|
|5||Light Commercial Vehicle / Mini Bus||Orange||300||140|
|6||Bus 3 Axle||Yellow||400||300|
|6||Truck 3 Axle||Yellow||500||300|
|7||Bus 2 Axle / Truck 2 Axle||Green||400||300|
|12||Tractor / Tractor with trailer / Truck 4/ 5/ 6 Axle||Pink||500||300|
|15||Truck 7 Axle and above||Blue||500||300|
|16||Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery||Black||500||300|
Axis Bank FASTag Program is the digital toll tag service offered by Axis Bank that allows you to pay tolls on highways through a cashless method. The tag with a prepaid account and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology is affixed on your vehicle’s windshield. It makes the toll payment process smooth and quick without you having to wait in long lines.
The toll amount gets deducted from your account automatically and you will receive an SMS alert whenever you make a transaction with your tag. When you use the Axis FASTag in select toll booths for the first year, you will receive a cashback of 10%. This FASTag will be valid for a period of 5 years.
Features of Axis Bank FASTag
- Cashless toll payments at all National Toll Plazas
- Higher savings on fuel and time to all FASTag users
- Avail 10% cashback on all toll payments in India in the first year.
- Avail cashback on recharge for three years up to FY 2018-19
- Retail and corporate customers can use an Axis Bank FASTag for all vehicle classes and sizes
- If you are a non-KYC customer, you can load up to Rs.10,000 in your FASTag wallet and if you are a KYC compliant customer, you can recharge your FASTag balance with a total of Rs.1 lakh. Non-KYC customers can raise the limit to Rs.20,000 per month by upgrading their account to FASTag Lite Plan.
Benefits of purchasing Axis Bank FASTag
- Savings on fuel & time: Operating via RFID, your road trips benefit from a FASTag that saves both fuel and time. Tag readers on toll booths check your FASTag and collect the due charges from the linked account.
- Instant alerts via SMS – You will receive an SMS with the details of your transaction on your registered mobile number each time you pay a toll using FASTag.
- Manage your FASTag account online – Once activated, your FASTag can be linked to your Axis Bank account or any e-wallet of your choice, allowing you to reload and manage it entirely online.
- Doorstep Delivery – Axis Bank offers you the option to apply for your FASTag online and have it shipped to you as it has become compulsory on National Highways. You can also apply for it from any of our branch networks with 4000 +.
- Easy to use – Using a FASTag is simple. You just have to affix it on the inside of the windshield of your vehicle. Toll places are fitted with a tag scanner and complete the transactions without contact.
- Discounts – If you are staying within 10 km of a toll plaza, you can take advantage of a toll concession by buying a FASTag from Axis Bank. To get this facility, you simply need to submit your address proof at the Axis Bank branch/toll place POS point. This waiver is also available for regular FASTag clients.
- Replacement – Axis Bank FASTag has a 5-year validity. If it is damaged or is tampered with due to wear and tear, you may request for a replacement label at an additional cost.
- Recharge – Through various recharge options such as net banking, credit card, debit card, e-wallets, UPI, NEFT / RTGS, etc., you can conveniently recharge your FASTag account online.
How to apply for Axis Bank FASTag?
Axis Bank FASTags can be purchased both offline and online.
Offline purchase process:
Visit any of the Axis Bank branches’ Point of Sale (POS) locations of toll plazas with the original and photocopies of your KYC papers. Driving your car to the POS location is necessary as a bank representative must tape the FASTag to your vehicle’s windshield. You will have to pay a small joining fee against the tag and a one-time security deposit. You will need to recharge or top it up periodically according to your requirements after purchase.
Documents required to get a FASTag:
- Registration Certificate (RC Book) of the vehicle
- Duly filled and signed application form for Axis Bank FASTag
- A valid driving license for address proof and ID proof
- Passport-size photograph of the vehicle owner/customer
- KYC documents of the vehicle owner
- Individual customer: PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Passport, Voter ID card, etc.
- Corporate customer: For a Proprietorship, proprietor’s address proof, PAN card, Shop Act, and other Firm proof are required.
- For a partnership/private limited/public limited company, corporate’s PAN card, signing authority’s photo ID, names and addresses of directors and partners, and Registration Certificate/Partnership Deed/Certificate of Incorporation of the firm are required.
How can I buy Axis Bank FASTag?
You can get your own Axis Bank FASTag through the following steps:
- Visit a Point of Sale (POS) location at any toll collection booth on a highway to create your tag account.
- Visit any Axis Bank branch and request for creating a tag account.
- Make sure you have your vehicle and copies of your KYC documents when you go to apply for your Axis Bank FASTag.
- You may also call the bank at 18004198585 for availing Axis Bank FASTag.
- You may also write an email to buy the tag by using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and Charges for Axis Bank FASTag
|Type of fee||Amount (in Rs.)|
|One-time tag joining fee||Rs.100 (inclusive of taxes)|
|Reissuance fees||Rs.100 (inclusive of taxes)|
Refundable one-time tag deposit amount
|Type of vehicle class||Description||Tag deposit|
|4||Car, van, jeep, Tata Ace, and mini light commercial which is similar||Rs.200|
|5||Light commercial vehicle with 2-axle or Mini Bus||Rs.300|
|7||Bus 2-axle or truck 2-axle||Rs.400|
|12||Tractor, truck 4-axle, tractor with trailer, truck 5-axle, truck 6-axle||Rs.500|
|15||Truck 7-axle and above||Rs.500|
|16||Earth moving or heavy construction machinery||Rs.500|
What is FASTag?
The FASTag is issued in the form of a sticker with a magnetic strip and it uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID). It will have to be pasted on the top centre of the windscreen of the car. This will allow travellers and commercial vehicles to cross the toll booths without waiting at the counter to pay the toll fee.
National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) is all geared up to make collection of tolls completely electronic. The government has made it compulsory for all vehicle owners to use FASTags to make electronic toll payments and not cash payments that will draw fines from 15th December.
HDFC Bank has implemented this FASTag program a part of the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) initiative rolled out by NPCI under the guidelines of NHAI and IHMCL.
How to Apply for HDFC Bank FASTag Offline?
Outlined below is the step-by-step process of applying for HDFC Bank FASTag offline:
- You need to visit PoS or authorised branch of HDFC bank
- First of all you need to have your FASTag account created
- Obtain HDFC bank FASTag application form
- Fill up the form
- Attach know-your-customer (KYC) documents with the form. Do not forget to carry the original documents with you for verification purpose
- Following documents are required for FASTag account creation:
- Registration certificate (RC) of the vehicle
- Identity proof and Address proof (Aadhaar Card, valid driving licence, PAN Card, etc.)
- Vehicle owner’s passport-size photograph
- Submit duly filled and signed FASTag application form along with know-your-customer (KYC) documents
Features & Benefits of HDFC Bank FASTag
- Higher Validity Period: The validity period of HDFC Bank FASTag is 5 years from the date of issue.
- Online Recharge: It is possible to recharge HDFC Bank FASTag online through various modes such as credit card, debit card, net banking, etc.
- Transaction Alerts: You will be notified of toll transactions through SMS and Email.
- Cashback: HDFC bank offers cashback of 2.5% on toll fares till March 31, 2020. There is no capping on cashback amount.
- Road Side Assistance: Get emergency assistance for fleet drivers. Emergency road side Assistance Number is 022-67872087.
- Time Saving: HDFC Bank FASTag is the fastest way to beat queues.
HDFC Fastag Fees and Charges in pune
(1) Tag Cost: Rs. 100 (including GST)
(2) One-time Tag Deposit Amount (as per table below)
|Description||Vehicle Class||Tag Deposit||Threshold Amount|
|Jeep/Van/Car/Tata Ace and similar mini light commercial vehicle||4||Rs. 200||Rs. 100|
|Light Commercial vehicle 2-axle||5||Rs. 300||Rs. 200|
|Bus 3 Axle||6||Rs. 400||Rs. 500|
|Truck 3 Axle||6||Rs. 500||Rs. 500|
|Bus 2 axle / Mini bus, Truck 2 axle||7||Rs. 400||Rs. 500|
|Tractor / Tractor with trailer, Truck 4, 5 & 6 -axle||12||Rs. 500||Rs. 500|
|Truck 7-axle and above||15||Rs. 500||Rs. 500|
|Earth Moving/Heavy Construction Machinery||16||Rs. 500||Rs. 500|
How to recharge your HDFC FASTag?
Your HDFC FASTag can be conveniently recharged online using debit/credit card or net banking. Upon receiving your FASTag card, you need to create a login for your FASTag on the HDFC Bank website. The FASTag account can be recharged with up to Rs. 1,00,000 for KYC-compliant customers.
Please follow these instructions to create your HDFC Bank FASTag login.
- Individual customers should click on Retail Login and Corporate customers should click on Corporate Login. Then choose the option “First Time User” on the home page of the FASTag portal.
- You will be required to fill in any 2 details of the displayed fields.
- Customer ID (A 12 digit numeric number sent in the welcome message & starts with 17xxxxxxxxxxx and 18xxxxxxxxxxx) sent to your registered mobile number or email address.
- RFID number (RFID is 16 digits numeric number which is mentioned on the FASTag)
- A wallet ID (Wallet ID is 14 digits numeric number)
- Vehicle ID (vehicle number, e.g. TN00AA1111).
- Enter the registered mobile number and click on “Next Step”.
- Click on “Generate OTP”. It will be sent on the registered mobile number to authenticate the password generation request.
- Upon successful validation of the OTP, the customer will be required to enter the new password they want to set.
- You will then have to choose a minimum of 3 secret questions from a dropdown menu & provide an appropriate answer and then click on continue to complete the registration to access the FASTag account.
- You will be taken back to the Login Page and you can enter the User ID and new password to access your FASTag account.